Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Christmas in November



I do believe winter's icy fingers are tickling the backs of our necks and sending a chill down our backs threatening that which is yet to come...cold, snow and ice. I found my line of attack while unpacking and tagging inventory for Terressentials last week. This time of year always feels like an early Christmas to me. The UPS man takes on the role of Santa Claus delivering the packages from all over the world to our door. With anticipation we open each package!

One of my favorites this year was a stunning felted shawl handmade by women in Nepal. Light wisps of colorful felt are applied to recycled silk sari material making each shawl a piece of art. It was amazing to look through the felt and see the exquisite designs of the silk sari peeking from beneath, like a lesson to the people to always look beneath the surface to see true beauty. I instantly fell in love with a charcoal grey one with silky creamy brown paisleys showing through, but there is a veritable rainbow of colors to choose from. I pulled the soft grey shawl out of the package. Wrapped it around me. Wonderful! It was long enough to go around twice! Ample enough to keep winter's icy fingers at bay!

I imagined the felted sari scarf making its way from Nepal to Frederick, MD. I wondered about the women who made it and silently thanked them for their effort and creativity. As the Tibetan proverb goes, “imagination cures the chaos in the heart.” I was thankful that we at Terressentials are able to share these wonderful and exotic handmade and fair trade treasures with all of our friends in Frederick and beyond. Stop in to our Patrick Street store soon and see the fabulous finds that will brighten your home, warm your body and lighten your spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment